Thanks to our friends at al fresco all natural for sponsoring this One Pot Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta – it’s creamy and luscious, hearty and healthy, and dreamy and delicious! This tasty meal only requires one pot and is on the table in less than 30 minutes – the perfect easy weeknight meal! Trust me, after one bite of this creamy pesto chicken pasta your taste buds will be rejoicing!
One of THE most delicious flavor combinations of all time has got to be tomato and basil! So yummy! It’s like they were made for each other. Mates, companions, bosom buddies, compadres, besties – forever!
There’s just something about that bright sweet tomatoey flavor paired with the fresh, herbaceous basil… literally food pairing perfection!
And then add in some lean chicken and pasta and you’ve got one mind-blowingly tasty meal in your belly. Like this One Pot Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta!! It is everything my friend! CRAMAZING! Over the top drool worthy! Completely EXTRA! And taste bud worshipping delicious!
Plus, it’s ready in less than 30 minutes and it only requires one pan! Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas to you!
Clearly, I’m (ahem) a little excited about this delectable chicken pesto pasta. I promise one bite of this creamy yumminess and you will be too!
Your new favorite Chicken Pesto Pasta:
Allow me to share all the reasons this pesto chicken dish will make you dance around the kitchen singing the Mamma Mia soundtrack… Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!…
First of all, it’s brimming with al fresco chicken sausage – aka THE BEST and most flavorful chicken sausage to ever exist. I know – a very strong statement right!?? But have you tasted it??
I used their Sundried Tomato with basil and tomatoes flavor for today’s recipe. I think the name speaks for itself, but just to be abundantly clear it’s full of tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, basil, dried onion, garlic, and paprika. It is absolutely scrumptious!
Annnd just to prove I’m not the only one that adores this chicken sausage, allow me to quote a few fellow al fresco fans after trying this sundried tomato sausage…
“Deliciously awesome!”… “The taste is heavenly!”
And another… “Out of this world!” … “I thought my husband was going to eat the entire package!”
And what the heck, one more for fun… “I love this chicken sausage! … “The Sundried Tomato and Basil is my all-time favorite of the al fresco chicken sausage flavors. We enjoy it for weekend breakfasts with scrambled eggs, spinach, English muffins…”
And if you’d like to check out more details or see what others are saying about this delicious, healthy, gluten free, fully cooked, lean chicken sausage then head on over here and take a peek. #SeeingIsBelieving
You can find fully cooked al fresco chicken sausage at your local grocery store in the refrigerated area. I shop at Publix here in Florida and all the al fresco products are always located near the bacon.
Let’s see, what else can I tell you about this pesto chicken recipe…
- I used rigatoni noodles for this dish but bowtie pasta or penne pasta would be just as delicious. (You’ll love the rigatonis!)
- I also used store-bought pesto… the kind found in the refrigerated area, next to the cheese and premade tortellini pasta. But you can definitely make your own if you prefer. #YouDoYou
- I’m always looking for ways to boost the nutrition and make recipes healthier so true to form, I added 5 ounces of fresh baby spinach to this pesto chicken pasta. #PopeyeWouldBeProud
As I mentioned this Chicken Pesto Pasta comes together in less than 30 minutes… here’s how to create this culinary masterpiece:
First, use a large preheated saucepan to brown the al fresco chicken sausage in olive oil for 2-3 minutes a side. Then with a slotted spoon, transfer it to a bowl.
Next, add 2 cups of chicken stock (or water) and turn the burner to high heat until it starts to simmer, then add the pasta.
Cover with a lid and keep it cracked slightly, reduce heat to medium high, and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of liquid is absorbed.
Now, add ½ cup more of chicken stock (or water) and all the tomatoes to the pan, cover tightly with the lid, and cook for 4 more minutes.
Stir in the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese aka Parmigiano-Reggiano, garlic powder and pepper, until cheese is melted and spices are combined.
This step is the secret to making this creamy basil pesto sauce so luscious!
Finally, remove the pan from the heat and fold in the pesto, cooked chicken sausage and baby spinach. Garnish with fresh basil and more Parmesan cheese and devour!
Like I said… “Over the top drool worthy! Completely EXTRA! And taste bud worshipping delicious!”
Weeknight dinners just got a huge upgrade with this one pan wonder!
But don’t take my word for it give it a try for yourself… I know you and your family are going to adore this One Pot Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces al fresco sundried tomato chicken sausage
- 2 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken stock, chicken broth, or water
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta (uncooked)
- 15 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes, ½ of them cut in half and the rest whole
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup refrigerated basil pesto (found in the dairy department at the grocery store)
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- fresh torn basil leaves for garnish
- additional grated Parmesan for garnish
- Add oil to a large saucepan and brown chicken sausage 2-3 minutes per side. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl.
- Add 2 cups of chicken stock/water and turn the burner to high heat until it starts to simmer. Add pasta, cover with a lid partially cracked open, and reduce heat to medium high. Cook for 8 minutes, and stir occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add all the tomatoes and ½ cup more of chicken stock/water to the pan, cover tightly with the lid, and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted and spices are combined.
- Remove pan from heat and add the cooked sausage, pesto, and spinach. Gently fold all ingredients together.
- Garnish with fresh basil and more Parmesan cheese.
A sprinkle of crushed red pepper is a nice addition and brings a bit of heat to this dish.
Serving Size8-10 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 544Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 8gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 68mgSodium 1142mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 21g