This post is sponsored by Ghirardelli, all opinions are my own.
Thanks to our friends at Ghirardelli for sponsoring these Chocolate Caramel Toffee Bars! With just 7 ingredients and less than 30 minutes these bars are super easy to make and so delicious!
The Holidays are such a special time of year and Ghirardelli’s high quality, delicious chocolate products make the holidays a bite better!
I don’t know about you but in my house Ghirardelli is the go-to brand when it comes to chocolate and baking. Their sustainability promise is another reason they’re the ones I trust most with my baking needs. “All the products that leave our factories will ultimately live up to our commitment to sustainability along the entire value chain.“ That is definitely something to brag about.
AND the best place to pick up all my holiday baking ingredients is of course Walmart! They are available in-store or via Walmart Online Pick-up & Delivery. Walmart’s got great prices and they’re always fully stocked with all my favorite Ghirardelli products - like Peppermint Bark, Caramel Squares and Baking Chips.
Since we’re meeting up in smaller groups these days with friends and family I think it’s important to create some lasting memories by baking together or just enjoying some quality time with some delicious Holiday treats.
Some of my favorites are the easy desserts using their melting chips for dipping and coating cookie balls. I always have their peppermint bark out for my family and guests to enjoy, and I most recently came up with a new delicious way to use their Milk Chocolate Caramel Squares: Chocolate Caramel Toffee Bars!
I can’t wait to tell you all about it so you can enjoy them as much as my family does.
Before we get into the details of how to make them I need to let you know this is one of those easy recipes with less than 7 ingredients.
Yessss my friend! I’m always looking out for you.
What is shortbread?
Shortbread is a traditional Scottish biscuit made from flour, sugar and butter. Unlike many other baked goods, shortbread does not contain any leavening such as baking powder or baking soda. Shortbread is often associated with Christmas and the holiday season.
I switched it up a bit with this recipe. Instead of white sugar I used light brown sugar, added an egg and vanilla which created a sweet shortbread style cookie bar crust.
Let’s get baking…
1. Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9×13" baking pan. Line it with parchment paper so that you can easily remove the bars.
2. Using a mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until smooth.
3. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4. Then add the flour and mix just until combined. The mixture will be thick and moist.
5. Place the mixture into the prepared pan and press along the bottom to cover it evenly.
6. Bake for 18 minutes or until the shortbread is set and just slightly browned around the edges.
7. When the bars come out of the oven, immediately place the unwrapped Milk Chocolate Caramel Squares on top of the warm shortbread. Let them sit for about 5 minutes to melt.
8. The shortbread crust should be warm enough to melt the chocolate if you put them on right away. If not, place them in the oven (the oven can be turned off…it will still be warm from baking) for about 2-3 minutes to finish melting the chocolate.
9. Use a spatula to gently smooth the chocolate evenly.
10. Immediately sprinkle on the toffee pieces and more broken caramel squares.
11. Allow the chocolate to set. This will take a couple of hours.
12. When the chocolate is still slightly soft, use a sharp knife to cut the bars.
13. You can store these bars in an airtight container at room temperature for 4-5 days. And these sweet treats freeze well for up to 6 weeks.
These Caramel Toffee Cookie Bars are sooo delicious and so easy. It’s one of those recipes you can make with the kiddos and feel proud about serving to those you love during the holidays and beyond.
And here’s a pro tip for you… If you’re looking for some tasty and popular gift ideas Ghirardelli offers some nice gift boxes and bags for your friends, family or co-workers.
Chocolate Caramel Toffee Bars
Chocolate Caramel Toffee Bars! With just 7 ingredients and less than 30 minutes these bars are super easy to make and so delicious!
- 1 cup salted butter (softened)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 24 full size Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Caramel Squares plus more for the topping (wrappers removed)
- ¼ cup toffee bits
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13" baking pan. Line it with parchment paper so that you can easily remove the bars.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until smooth - about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix again, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the flour and mix until just combined. The mixture will be thick and moist.
- Place the mixture into the prepared pan and press along the bottom to cover it evenly.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until the shortbread is set and just slightly browned around the edges.
- When the bars come out of the oven, immediately place the unwrapped Milk Chocolate Caramel Squares on top of the shortbread crust. Let them sit for about 5 minutes to melt. The cookie bars should be warm enough to melt the chocolate if you put them on right away. If they are not melting, place them in the oven (the oven can be turned off… it will still be warm from baking) for about 2-3 minutes or until the caramel squares are melted.
- Use a spatula to smooth the chocolate and caramel evenly.
- Immediately sprinkle on the toffee and chopped caramel squares.
- Allow the chocolate to set. This will take a couple of hours.
- When the chocolate is still slightly soft, use a sharp knife to cut the bars.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 4-5 days. Or freeze for up to 6 weeks.
Amount Per Serving Calories 276Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 38mgSodium 88mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 2gSugar 19gProtein 3g
This nutrition card uses an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. This estimate is not a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice!
These look amazing. I am adding this recipe to my holiday baking list!
Hi Michelle, Thank you so so much for your kind words! Let me know if you end up making the recipe!!