Aperol Punch - the perfect winter elixir!❄⛄
It’s almost January 1st and we just had our first snow of the season! So we thought a delicious and herbaceous way to celebrate this winter season and toast the new year would be with some Aperol Punch!
This recent snowfall is a bit of a slow winter start for the Boston area, but I’m not complaining!! Especially since we had 108.6 inches of the white stuff last season!? Essentially we were living in an igloo or a snow globe that was constantly being shaken.❄ In case you’re wondering, that’s the most snowfall we’ve had here in recorded history - back to 1872. WHAAA?? Hence the cause for my excitement and even more NYE celebrating!!
This punch is truly as tasty as it is beautiful. Seriously did you see it…I just can’t get over it!
We combined gin, lime juice, blood orange juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice, some muddled rosemary, bitters and a splash of soda to make this divine elixir. I just can’t get enough of blood oranges. They are so beautiful with their red-blushed skin and gorgeous orangey pink, red and burgundy flesh! They are tart and sweet and almost berry-like in flavor. They are one of the things I look forward to in the winter since they're only available from December until March or April. Get them while you can people – trust me – they will brighten up your winter season. Just like this yummy Aperol Punch!!!✨✨
By the way, in case you’re not familiar with Aperol - it is an aperitif or aperitivo (an alcoholic drink taken before a meal to stimulate the appetite.) It is bright orange in color, low in alcohol, with flavors and aromas of sweet and bitter oranges, rhubarb, and many herbs and roots.
Since I’m feeling a little bittersweet about the ending of 2015 and the beginning of 2016 – Aperol makes the perfect star ingredient for this celebratory New Years Eve punch! SOO, while you’re at the liquor store (package store if you live near Boston) stocking up on your NYE libations, grab some gin and Aperol so you can imbibe in this bitter-sweet herbaceous nectar!!
From our home to yours...Happy New Year!!2⃣0⃣1⃣6⃣
This punch is slightly bitter and perfectly sweet. It is as tasty as it is beautiful.
- 1 cup Aperol
- 2 ½ cups gin
- 1 ¼ cup grapefruit juice
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 blood orange, juiced
- 3 dashes of bitters
- fresh rosemary, muddled with turbinado sugar and few spoonfuls of grapefruit juice
- Sparkling white wine, (can substitute club soda)
- Combine Aperol, gin, and all 4 types of fruit juice in a pitcher.
- Shake in three good shakes of bitters
- Rinse and dry one large stem of rosemary. Then remove rosemary from the center stem, and place in a separate glass or cocktail shaker. Add a few spoonfuls of grapefruit juice, a ½ spoonful of turbinado, and muddle away for about 20 seconds.
- After muddling, pour some additional punch from the pitcher into the muddling glass, then strain the muddled mixture back into the pitcher.
- To serve, pour over ice, and top with a splash of sparkling white wine
- To garnish, use any combination of rosemary sprigs, sliced kumquats, or thinly sliced wheels or wedges of blood orange, limes, or even lemons.
Serving Size1 glass
Amount Per Serving Calories 248Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 3mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 0gSugar 14gProtein 1g
This nutrition card uses an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. This estimate is not a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice!
Blood orange is one of my favs, this recipe is a keeper for sure!