These Chicken Burgers with Feta Cheese and Spinach are so flavorful, juicy and full of delicious and healthy ingredients. Like spinach, onion, feta cheese, garlic, almond meal (or bread crumbs), oregano, salt, and pepper... they're definitely a tasty well-rounded meal! (Low-carb + Gluten-Free)
What are your plans for the holiday weekend!??
I’m gonna be over here on my bacon raft (yep I literally have a pool float that looks like an 8-foot piece of bacon)... floating in the pool and chowing down these Chicken Burgers with Feta Cheese and Spinach!!
They are delicious with a capital “D”!!
Did you know that May is Burger Month? Yep – it most certainly is.
That's why my friend GirlCarnivore is hosting this Ultimate Burger Grilling Giveaway, along with our group of sponsors... read below for the full list of sponsors, and find out how you can win an amazing bundle of grilling goodies!
Keep an eye on BurgerMonth.com for all the burger recipes.
My contributions to this festive month of burger-liciousness are these Chicken Burgers with Feta Cheese and Spinach! They’re so good, I’ve made two batches within the past week.
Chicken Burgers with Feta Cheese & Spinach
You may not have even known there was such a thing as a ground chicken burger – but there is, and we’re giving them the spotlight today!
And trust me, they deserve our full and undivided attention! Yep – they’re just that good.
This may shock you, but I actually like them better than beef burgers! Crazy talk – right!??
They are so flavorful and juicy, and still full of all kinds of healthy ingredients... and their fat content is lower than beef. For these, I used frozen chopped spinach, yellow onion, feta cheese, garlic, almond meal (or bread crumbs), oregano, and salt and pepper.
I also use 93% lean ground chicken, so the burgers stay moist and delicious. You could also use 93% lean ground turkey if you prefer – they will have the same texture and similar flavor.
And because I’m all about some cheesy spreads and saucy dips, I created a Feta Cheese Spread to smear all over your face – sorry I mean all over your burger bun. (Everything’s “bettah” with Feta!)
And just when you thought it couldn’t get any “bettah” – it does!
I also made some delicious Tzatziki Sauce to slather on this chicken burger as well. Mind-blowing – right!??
But there’s still more…
There are all kinds of fresh toppings I like to layer on to give this burger some freshness and crispy texture.
- Sliced English cucumber
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced red onion
- Green leaf lettuce
- Fresh dill
I even tried out my smoker box on the grill with some Western BBQ Mesquite Wood Chips. They added a nice element of campfire cooked flavor. Mmm, mmm!
I must admit this is one sensational burger masterpiece!
Allow me to show you the way to your new favorite burger recipe…
How to make Greek chicken burgers with Feta Cheese:
1. First, I whipped up the Tzatziki sauce…
2. … then made my Feta Cheese Spread and refrigerated both until the burgers were grilled and ready to devour (you could even do this the day before if you’d like).
It gives the burger an amazing creamy texture!
3. Next, I thawed the frozen spinach in the microwave, and then after it cooled I squeezed ALL the liquid out.
4. Then in a large bowl I added all the burger ingredients and mixed them together thoroughly.
4. I preheated the grill to 450 degrees. And since I was using Mesquite wood chips (thanks to WesternBBQ!), I added chips to my smoker box, then placed it over the heat for about 7 minutes (until the chips started smoking).
I kept a spray bottle filled with water handy in case it started burning… smoke is good in the smoker box, but fire is not so good.
5. Then I grilled the burgers for 5 minutes on the first side, then flipped them and grilled them for 3-5 more minutes.
And of course, I used my handy digital thermometer to temp the burgers because they are chicken after all. I made sure they were at least 165 degrees F in the middle. Then I let them rest for 5 minutes.
6. Finally, I smeared some feta spread onto the inside of the buns, then added my chicken burger and layered on red onion and all the other toppings, then finished with the amazing tzatziki sauce!
Sheer burger heaven I tell you! With all that spinach and those healthy toppings, it’s not just a burger… it’s a tasty well-rounded meal!
If you’re wanting to keep it low-carb, you could always serve the burger bun-less over the green leaf lettuce with all the toppings, or swaddle it in the lettuce and have yourself a yummy low-carb Greek burger lettuce wrap.
There are so many ways to enjoy this yumminess. I can’t wait for you to give them a try!
You and me both will be grilling up these Chicken Burgers with Feta Cheese and Spinach all summer long!
Happy Memorial Day!!
Chicken Burger with Feta Cheese and Spinach
These Chicken Burgers with Feta Cheese and Spinach are so flavorful and juicy, and full of all kinds of delicious and healthy ingredients.
For The Feta Cheese Spread:
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For The Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup English cucumber, finely chopped (about 3 ½ ounces)
- 2 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (½ a lemon, juiced)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- dash of freshly ground pepper
For The Chicken Burgers:
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly squeezed to get ALL the liquid out!
- 1 pound ground chicken, 93% Lean
- 4 ounces feta cheese, finely crumbled
- ¼ cup almond meal or breadcrumbs
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 Brioche buns (*See note for low carb / low cal / keto option!)
Chicken Burger Toppings:
- 1 large ripe tomato, sliced
- green leaf lettuce, washed and dried
- English cucumber, thinly sliced
- red onion, thinly sliced
For the Feta Cheese Spread:
- Add all the ingredients for the feta cheese spread to a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, then give it a stir.
- If there are still lumps microwave it again for 15-30 more seconds.
- (If preferred you can also add the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until all the ingredients are combined and creamy.)
- Note the Feta Cheese Spread can be made a day in advance if preferred.
For The Tzatziki Sauce:
- Mix together all Tzatziki Sauce ingredients and refrigerate.
- Note the Tzatziki sauce can also be made the day before if preferred.
For The Burgers:
- Thaw the spinach in the microwave, allow it to cool, then thoroughly squeeze out ALL the liquid.
- In a large bowl, add all the burger ingredients and mix together thoroughly. Shape the burgers into 4 equally sized patties.
- Preheat grill to 450 degrees
- If using the Mesquite smoke chips, place them in a smoker box over the heat for about 7 minutes. It should start smoking at that point.
- Spray the burgers well on both sides with grilling spray, and grill for 5 minutes on the first side.
- Flip the burgers and grill 3-5 more minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees in the center.
- Smear the Feta Cheese Spread on the inside of the buns, add the burger, and layer on the toppings. Spoon some of the Tzatziki Sauce on burger and the serve.
- You can also serve the chicken burger on a bed of lettuce, as a lettuce wrap burger or in a pita with the same toppings
- When heating up the mesquite chips in the smoker box I like to keep a spray bottle with water handy, just in case the chips catch flame.
- This nutrition card is based on a burger with toppings, on a brioche bun, with about 1 tablespoon of the whipped feta and 2 tablespoons of the tzatziki sauce.
- For a low-carb version just swap that brioche bun for a nice big piece of green leaf lettuce. Without the Brioche bun, this burger has 380 Calories and 12 Carbs.
Serving Size1 Burger with Bun
Amount Per Serving Calories 548Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 10gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 164mgSodium 1234mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 31g
If you are looking for some more Greek yumminess, try this Greek Shrimp Pasta or these amazing Lamb meatballs with fava and tzatziki!
A huge thanks to the #BurgerMonth sponsors for the Ultimate Burger Grilling Giveaway: Cabot Cheese, Char-Griller Grills, Crow Canyon Home, Porter Road, Melissas Produce, Red Duck, Spiceology, & Western BBQ!
Don’t forget to enter the giveaway today for chances to win the Ultimate Burger Grilling Giveaway worth over $800 dollars. And check BurgerMonth.com daily for all of the amazing burgers!
CHECK OUT MORE AMAZING #BURGERMONTH RECIPES HERE!
🍔 Girl Carnivore 🍔 A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures 🍔 A Simple Pantry 🍔 Abra's Kitchen 🍔 AcadiaTwo’s Kitchen Antics 🍔 An Affair from the Heart 🍔 Bakersbeans 🍔 Betsi's World 🍔Bowl Me Over 🍔by Sarah Halstead 🍔Caroline's Cooking 🍔 Cindy's Recipes and Writings 🍔 City Living Boston 🍔 Cluttercafe 🍔 Cooking With Carlee 🍔 Convos with Karen 🍔Daily Dish Recipes 🍔 Dance Around The Kitchen 🍔 Dixie Chik Cooks 🍔 Dizzy Busy and Hungry 🍔 Doodlecraft 🍔 Everyday Eileen 🍔 Family Around the Table 🍔 Family Food on the Table 🍔 Family Spice 🍔Farmwife Feeds 🍔Food Above Gold 🍔 For the Love of Food 🍔 Grillax.com 🍔 Grilling Montana 🍔 Grumpy's Honeybunch 🍔 Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks 🍔 Honeybunch Hunts 🍔 HORNS BBQ 🍔 Intelligent Domestications 🍔 It Is a Keeper 🍔 Jersey Girl Books 🍔 Jolene's Recipe Journal 🍔 Jonesin For Taste 🍔 Juggling Act Mama 🍔 Karen's Kitchen Stories 🍔 Kate's Recipe Box 🍔 Krazy Kitchen Mom 🍔 Life Anchored 🍔 Life of a Ginger 🍔 Mildly Meandering 🍔 Miss in the KItchen 🍔 Palatable Pastime 🍔 Pastry Chef Online 🍔 Perspective Portions 🍔 Plowing Through Life 🍔 PNW Eats 🍔 Pook's Pantry 🍔 Real Life With Dad 🍔 Sarah's Cucina Bella 🍔 Seduction In The Kitchen 🍔 Simple and Savory 🍔 Souffle Bombay 🍔 Spiced 🍔 Spoonabilities 🍔 Strawberry Blondie Kitchen 🍔 SueBee Homemaker 🍔 Sumptuous Spoonfuls 🍔 Sweet ReciPeas 🍔 Swirls of Flavor 🍔 Take Two Tapas 🍔 Tampa Cake Girl 🍔 Taste And See 🍔 The Baking Fairy 🍔 The Beard and The Baker 🍔 The Complete Savorist 🍔 The Crumby Kitchen 🍔 The Heritage Cookbook Project 🍔 The Keto Guy 🍔 The Redhead Baker 🍔 The Rowdy Baker 🍔 The Schmidty Wife 🍔 The Shirley Journey 🍔 The Spiffy Cookie 🍔 This Farm Girl Cooks 🍔 Thyme for Cocktails 🍔 We are not Martha 🍔 Well Fed Baker 🍔 West Via Midwest 🍔 What’s Cooking Italian Style Cuisine 🍔 Who Needs A Cape? 🍔 Wildflour's Cottage Kitchen 🍔 Wok & Skillet 🍔 Zest & Simmer 🍔
Totally delicious! I added 1tbl chopped jalapeño + 2tblsp fresh chopped mint. Didn’t have almond flour -used Panko and fresh spinach. Did not read I should have sautéed spinach first and it was still fine.
Will be a go to often! Thx
Thank you for your comment Ruthie! We love hearing that. So glad you enjoyed it... 🙂 - H&B
could I use fresh spinach instead of frozen?
Hey Greta, you sure can. You will need to sauté it first and squeeze as much of the liquid out as possible. To get the same amount of spinach as a 10 ounce package of frozen spinach (like I used in this recipe) you would need 24 ounces of fresh spinach - that is a ton of fresh spinach. You can use less fresh spinach but of course the recipe won't be the same. Good luck!
Do you think this would taste the same with ground turkey instead? Ground chicken is so expensive here
Thanks so much for sharing, they look yummy. Can I go ahead and make extra and freeze them.
Thanks so much, Marcela! I make extra all the time and freeze them. The are delicious even out of the freezer. Thanks, again.
These are delicious!! I'm eating a lettuce wrapped burger as I type this and it's awesome! I decreased the onion and garlic a little, just because my family likes a lighter touch, but otherwise I didn't change a thing. Definitely a keeper recipe!
Yayyy! Thanks so much, Shelly! It's awesome to hear how much you and your family enjoyed the burgers! We love them as well... which reminds me I should make another batch!😁
Those patties look packed with flavor! All those flecks of mix ins sound scrumptious. And that spread on top! Those layers of veggies! All making me drool.
Thanks a bunch, Christie! I love all the layers or veggies and toppings as well. It really turns a burger into something special!
I totally want a bacon raft, and one of these burgers! So many great flavors and textures!
Hi Jolene, yep I could eat these for a week straight. OK as the chief taste-tester here I think I actually DID eat them for a week straight... and it was awesome. Also here's the bacon raft just in case you want your own! (that's an affiliate link FYI). 🙂
That's one of the most gorgeous burgers ever. I totally love the dill!
Thanks Karen! We love how juicy they are in spite of using lean chicken. Enjoy!
Such yummy flavor combinations with the feta and tzatziki sauce! Pinning this recipe so we can give it a try. I think I'd enjoy these without the bun on a bed of greens for the low carb version. Looks delish!
Thanks Shirley! They are a delicious on lettuce... let us know how they turn out!
Looks so fresh and delicious. That English Cucumber is a great touch too-
Thanks Paul! They are officially the new favorite for healthy summer time grilling. Enjoy!
Geoffrey at Spoonabilities
Love the look and sound of that feta cheese sauce, and the dill in the tzatziki sauce. The pictures are so inviting you would never even know it's chicken... not that that's a bad thing. I want this for dinner now.
Thanks Geoffrey! You guys should totally add a version of the whipped feta to the Greek Appetizer Spreads you sell!
I think poultry burgers get a bad rap. I love them just as much as beef burgers! And with these flavors/toppings how can anyone argue?
Thanks Erin, it's true: these chicken burgers may have just become the family go-to for grilling this summer... we are loving them!
What a great take on an original burger recipe! Glad it's grilling season 🙂
Thank you, Erin! These have most certainly become our new favorite burger!
Kathryn @ Family Food on the Table
Seriously great flavors in these chicken burgers! Love that feta spread and the tzatziki sauce to take these over the top! YUM!
Thanks so much, Kathryn! I'm all about some sauce so I couldn't agree more!!
OMG, how much more delicious looking can these burgers be? I have a fascination with feta AND tzatziki sauce, so I'm pretty much in heaven over here!
Aww thanks so much, Sue! I'm the same with feta and tzatziki - I can't get enough!