Thanks to our friends at Healthy Aperture Blogger Network and Hodgson Mill for sponsoring these Savory Turkey Sausage Buttermilk Biscuits! These soulful, golden biscuits of goodness are a heart-healthy, all-in-one breakfast! Make and bake and enjoy these breakfast bombs all week!
As you probably already know February is American Heart Month. And for good reason: Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States. The good news? It is also one of the most preventable diseases.
So what can we do to prevent it you ask??? Allow me to share…
- Don’t smoke. Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States. If you don’t smoke, don’t start.
- Actively manage your health conditions. Work with your health provider to manage high blood pressure and high cholesterol… and if you’re on prescription meds for that, take them!
- Stay active: we should be actively moving for at least 2 ½ hours per week. Even short 10-minute walks help!
- Finally, make heart-healthy eating changes: eat food low in trans-fat, saturated fat, added sugar and sodium… and make sure you get that daily fiber!
That’s exactly what we’re talking about today… making healthy eating changes by baking with whole grains! Fiber is one of those important nutrients no one gets enough of, but can make a huge difference in so many ways – it can help promote heart health, as well as your digestive health. That’s a win-win my friend!
If you’re not used to baking with whole grains, I’m here to help. Hodgson Mill offers a wide range of premium quality flours. They choose premium wheat, oats, rye, and corn of the highest grade, from the U.S.A. They clean it twice before grinding, removing the chaff and broken kernels. Only the plumpest, ripest grain berries make it through.
Then they mill the grains gently and carefully between two millstones, cut and shaped from genuine North Carolina red granite. This premium milling process, which remains cooler than other methods, ensures that the grain’s nutritious germ, bran and natural oils are fully preserved. What’s not to love about all of that!??
You can easily swap out their Whole Wheat Graham Flour, White Whole Wheat Flour, or Oat Flour for all-purpose flour as an easy way to add nutrition when you bake. I recommend you start by substituting 1/4 – 1/3 of the total flour in a recipe with whole grain flour – you probably won’t even notice, but you still get the whole grain benefits!
And that’s exactly what we did with these Savory Turkey Sausage Buttermilk Biscuits. So yummy right!??? Just take a look at these babies…
They are hearty and cheesy and meaty and full of all kinds of healthy White Whole Wheat Flour! One cup to be exact. I blended that with 1 cup of unbleached flour to create the tastiest golden breakfast biscuits a girl could want.
No kidding people – these biscuits bake up tender and flaky. And they’re jam-packed with green onions, turkey sausage, tangy buttermilk, and cheddar cheese. Droooling!
Just one biscuit could literally be a delicious on-the-go breakfast for those mornings when sitting down and using a fork is simply not an option. Can you say “meal prep?!?”
These sausage breakfast biscuits have it all: you’ve got your heart-healthy whole grains, lean protein, and lots of bone building calcium. #winning
And not only are they scrumptious, they are super-easy to make. Bake up a batch and voila! Breakfast for the entire week.
How To Make The Savory Turkey Sausage Buttermilk Biscuit:
Start off by preheating your oven to 425 degrees. Then sauté the turkey breakfast sausage with a little olive oil and garlic powder in a skillet over medium high heat (I found the turkey breakfast sausage in the freezer area with the meat products).
Next, mix your flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Then use your hands or a food processor to work the butter into the flour until it’s broken up into little crumbs. Next, add your cheese, chives and cooked sausage and mix it all together. Finally, pour in your buttermilk and mix well.
Now form little round discs out of the dough – I made 10 four ounce balls. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-22 minutes.
Then behold your hearty, flaky, savory discs of golden morning goodness!
These Turkey Sausage Buttermilk Biscuits are a great way to introduce some more healthy whole grains into your diet, and meal prep breakfast for the week!
PS: If you’re eating gluten-free, good news: Hodgson Mill has you covered! They offer Quinoa Flour, Almond Flour, Coconut Flour, and Rice Flour.
- 8 ounces turkey breakfast sausage
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup regular unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Saute turkey sausage in a little olive oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, garlic powder and salt together. Dice the cold butter into 1/4 inch squares, then use your hands (or a food processor) to work the butter into the flour, until it’s broken up into little crumbs.
- Add cheese, green onions, maple syrup and cooked sausage and mix together. Finally, add buttermilk and mix well.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and form into 10 evenly-sized discs, about four ounces each.
- Bake for 12 minutes, then rotate baking sheet and bake for another 10-12 minutes. Remove when golden brown on top.
*If you use a different sausage (like pork sausage) that has a higher fat content, you should drain off any excess fat after cooking it.
*I found the turkey breakfast sausage in the frozen meat area of the grocery store.
Serving Size1 Biscuit
Amount Per Serving Calories 255Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 46mgSodium 401mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 11g