This Cabbage Roll Soup is hearty and delicious just like the classic cabbage roll recipe, with way less work! It’s full of good-for-you ingredients that make this a low-calorie, low-carb, gluten-free and super easy weeknight dinner!
If you love cabbage rolls, but don’t love all the work involved, this quick cooking cabbage soup is for you!
I’m all about healthy eating… well, as long as it tastes delicious!
I’m sorry I can’t waste my calories on food that doesn’t taste good. Healthy or not. It’s just not happening.
So I’m over here working hard for you and me, my friend – creating and testing recipes until they meet my deliciousness standards.
And I’m excited to let you know, I do believe I have a winner… this Cabbage Roll Soup!
It’s hearty and satisfying comfort food, and addictively delicious. Not even kidding. It’s soo good.
Literally the B man adores it (and he basically only wants to eat meat all day errr day). So that’s really saying something.
And I must admit – I’m kind of in love with it as well. Honestly, my goal is to always eat healthy but you know there are birthdays to celebrate, holiday parties to attend, new restaurants to try, and of course pizza night on Friday nights. The struggle is real, as we all know.
So, when I find something I adore that’s good for me – I’m all in!! Hook. Line. And Sinker.
Which leads me to today’s recipe… Cabbage Roll Soup!!
I’ve literally made this recipe 4 times in the last 6 weeks. And I make enough to eat it all week long – yep, it’s just that good.
You might be thinking, “whaaaa… cabbage?” Trust me it has this heartiness that’s so filling (which is great when you’re trying to eat less), and it has a neutral flavor that absorbs all the other savoriness it’s cooked with… mmm, mmm!
Reasons you should dive head first into this unstuffed cabbage roll soup:
- It’s loaded with tons of veggies. You’ll totally be slaying those 2020 goals!!
- This cabbage soup is the perfect bowl of healthy goodness to enjoy when there’s a chill in the air. It will warm you up from the inside out.
- It’s low-carb and low-calorie, so you can actually eat as much as you want!! Can you hear the angels singing!?? That never happens – right!?? Let’s just call it a New Year’s miracle.
- And finally, this recipe makes a boatload of soup. So literally make a batch and forget about making dinner for the rest of the week!! #alwayswinning
Since I’m on a roll (get it: “cabbage roll soup” – sorry I couldn’t help myself), I should tell you all the details about making this satisfying and amazing cabbage soup!!
How to make cabbage roll soup:
- In a large soup pot, add olive oil, ground beef or turkey, salt, and pepper. Bring the pan to medium-high heat and brown for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add the onion, garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and thyme, then cook for 3 more minutes (and add more oil if needed).
- Stir in the chopped carrots and bell pepper, as well as chicken stock (or beef stock), petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and combine.
- Fold in the cabbage and 3 tablespoons chopped parsley.
- Then bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes over medium to medium-high heat with the lid slightly cracked (try to keep it at a low simmer).
Garnish with more fresh parsley and dive in my friend!! And since this Stuffed Cabbage Roll Soup is low-carb and low-calorie, I’m gonna suggest you have at least two bowls!!
Can You Freeze Cabbage Roll Soup?
Or… you can go ahead and make a double batch and freeze half so you can enjoy it again next week! I suggest dividing it into individual portions so you can grab one any time you need a quick and easy meal. What can I say? I’m here for you.
Helping you get delicious meals on the table that are full of nutritious ingredients and so good for you! Enjoy my friend!!
Hearty and delicious just like the classic cabbage roll recipe, with way less work!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey 93% fat (or ground beef)
- 1½ teaspoons salt, plus ½ teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cups beef stock
- 14.5 ounces petite diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (use Lea & Perrins brand for gluten-free)
- 1 small to medium head of cabbage, outer leaves and core removed, rinsed and chopped into 2-3 inch pieces (Mine weighed 3 lbs before I removed the core)
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, plus more for garnish
- In a large soup pot, add olive oil, ground beef or turkey, 1½ teaspoons salt, and pepper. Bring the pan to medium-high heat and brown for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat into small pieces as it cooks.
Add the onion, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, and thyme, then cook for 3 more minutes (and add more oil if needed).
Stir in the chopped carrots and bell pepper, as well as chicken or beef stock, petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
Fold in the cabbage and 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, then bring to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes over medium to medium-high heat with the lid slightly cracked (try to keep it at a low simmer).
- The soup can be frozen. I suggest dividing it into portions and then freezing.
- The nutrition info for this recipe was calculated using a serving size of 8 ounces per serving.
Looking for some other great new year’s resolution recipes?