This Chicken and Green Chile Verde Soup Recipe is a tangy, hearty, tasty treat! This soup is low-calorie and low-fat, but high in protein and fiber. With pinto beans, green chile salsa, green chiles, carrots, onions, garlic, and tender chunks of chicken breast, it’s a well-balanced meal in every bowl.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds) trimmed of fat & cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups green chile salsa - Medium heat (or mild if preferred)
- 12 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 3 cans pinto beans
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- Cilantro, chopped
- Jalapeños, chopped or sliced
- Sour cream
- Sauté onions, garlic and carrots in a large pot for 6 minutes.
- Season the veggies in the pot with 11/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 2 tablespoons cumin, 1 teaspoon coriander, and cook 2 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain 1 can of pinto beans, rinse them, and smash with a fork into a paste in a small bowl. Add a little chicken stock to the beans when smashing and it will help with this step. Drain and rinse the other 2 cans of pinto beans and leave them whole. Set the beans aside.
- Add 3 small cans of diced green chiles and 2 cups of green chile salsa Verde (use a medium-spicy version or use mild if spice-averse) to the veggies and spices.
- Stir in 4 cups of homemade chicken stock, and bring the pot to a simmer.
- Add the whole and smashed pinto beans, let the soup come back up to a simmer.
- Next, season cubed chicken with 1 tablespoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper then add to the soup.
- Cook for 10-15 more minutes, and temp chicken to be sure it has reached 165 degrees.
- Dish into soup bowls, and garnish with sour cream, cilantro, & jalapeños.
|CLICK FOR THE POST|
Looking for more hearty fall soups? Try these!