These Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings will be your new favorite chicken wing recipe! They’re tender on the inside, crispy, and golden on the outside, with no frying involved.
Plus, the cheesy garlic flavor is so delicious, and it's a tasty combination for the kiddos or any chicken wing lover! Mmmm.
Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
Can you tell I’m really enjoying trying out new Instant Pot recipes - like my Shredded Mexican Chicken, or this Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken and Spaghetti Squash? I love how tender and delicious chicken cooks in the IP in such a short amount of time.
Like these Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings! They only require 6 minutes of pressure cooking, and the meat is so good!
I like a crispy skin on my wings so I roasted and broiled them in a really hot oven to create that texture and give them some golden color.
I think you’re going to love them!
Let’s get right to it – shall we?
How to make pressure cooker chicken wings:
Get ready to enjoy chicken wings, Instant Pot style! Add drumettes and/or wings to a large mixing bowl, then toss with garlic powder, onion powder, and 1 teaspoon salt.
Place a cup of water in the bottom of the Instant Pot, then place the trivet in the bottom, add the chicken to the Instant Pot, and close the lid.
Pressure cook on high pressure for 6 minutes (the IP will take 15-17 minutes to come to pressure). Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 525 degrees with the rack in the middle.
When pressure cooking is complete, do a quick release. It will take 2-3 minutes to release pressure.
Remove wings from the IP and place them in a large bowl. Add melted butter, olive oil, minced garlic, and salt to a small bowl and mix. Then pour over cooked chicken wings and fold the sauce onto the wings.
Place chicken skin-side down on a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake for 8 minutes. Then switch to broil without removing from the oven for 3 minutes or until golden and crispy.
I just love all those crispy bits and of course that tender fall-off-the-bone meat.
Remove the chicken wings from the baking sheet and toss them with parmesan cheese, salt, and parsley while still hot.
Serve and enjoy!
I can assure you these garlic parmesan chicken wings will be gone in 60 seconds. They are super tasty and the perfect meaty snacks/appetizers.
You may be wondering if you can cook frozen chicken wings in the Instant Pot… the answer is absolutely!
How to cook frozen chicken wings in the instant pot:
Just like cooking any frozen meat in the IP, it will take a little longer than thawed. Be sure your chicken wings aren’t all frozen together in a big blob, follow the recipe below, and pressure cook them for 12 minutes instead of 6.
Notes on Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings:
- I like using chicken drumettes for this recipe for two reasons… they seem to have a bit more meat on them, and there’s no work involved in cutting up the wings.
- If you decide to use whole wings, cut off the tips with sharp kitchen sheers or a knife. The tips take up room and don’t have any meat on them so it’s not necessary to use them. (I do like to save them and make stock out of them later.) Next, separate the drumettes and the flat part of the wing. I find bending them backward at the joint and then using a sharp knife to separate them works well.
- After they cook in the Instant Pot I like to roast my wings in the oven to get golden and crispy. If you wanted to add a different sauce like BBQ or Buffalo Sauce you could toss them in the sauce after they are pressure cooked. Then bake or broil for a few minutes to help the sauce stick.
This Instant Pot Chicken Wings Recipe makes the most tender, juicy, and flavorful wings I've ever tasted.
But please, don't take my word for it - whip up a batch today!
To Toss Before Pressure Cooking:
- 3 pounds chicken drumettes/wings (whichever you prefer) *See Note
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
To Toss Before Baking:
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
To Toss Before Serving:
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley (optional)
- Add the drumettes to a large mixing bowl and toss with garlic powder, onion powder and 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Place a cup of water in the bottom of the Instant Pot, then place the trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the chicken wings, seal the lid, and pressure cook on high pressure 6 minutes (the IP will take 15-17 minutes to come to pressure). Meanwhile, move your oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 525 degrees F.
- When pressure cooking is complete, carefully do a Quick Release of the pressure. It normally takes 2-3 minutes to release pressure.
- Remove wings from the IP and place in a large bowl. Add the melted butter, olive oil, minced garlic, and salt to a small bowl and stir together. Pour over cooked chicken wings and toss.
- Place the chicken wings skin-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake for 8 minutes. Then broil 2-3 more minutes without opening the oven.
- Remove the wings from the oven and toss with parmesan cheese, salt and parsley while still hot. Serve and enjoy.
If you use whole wings and plan to cut off the tips you will have less meat than if you used drumettes. So if using whole wings, purchase 4 pounds, and if you’re only using drumettes, purchase 3 pounds.
Serving Size4 Wings
Amount Per Serving Calories 188Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 5gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 54mgSodium 495mgCarbohydrates 0.7gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 12g