This Easy Instant Pot Chicken And Rice recipe has tender chicken, perfectly cooked rice and the most delicious flavor! A comforting and hearty Instant Pot Chicken dinner ready in 40 minutes!
Recently I created one of my favorite Instant Pot recipes… Instant Pot Chicken Thighs and Risotto. The stove-top creamy Parmesan risotto is a long-time favorite recipe that has been on the blog since the beginning. It’s such a delicious recipe - but it does require a decent amount of attention, time and stirring.
I was determined to create a quick and easy recipe that will allow me and all of you to enjoy this deliciousness without all the effort. Mission accomplished - it is amazing!
Some of my biggest risotto fans have let me know how much they love the flavor and the easier preparation. I’m in complete agreement - the recipe is literally gold!
After I published that recipe, many of you have asked for a straight up easy and delicious Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe. So, you know me - I went to work.
I’m happy to report, after lots of recipe testing and “trial and error,” I have perfected the Instant Pot Chicken and Rice! It’s super exciting – right!?
When coming up with these one-pot-meals in the Instant Pot there are actually lots of variables to consider…
The secret to easy instant pot chicken recipes
- Cooking the chicken to 165 degrees without overcooking the rice.
- Making sure the rice isn’t too mushy, or hard and undercooked.
- Infusing enough flavor in the dish with herbs, veggies and spices.
- And making it as uncomplicated as possibly because life is difficult enough – dinner shouldn’t be! AmIRight!!??
Annnd I’m excited to let you know it is possible my friend! I’m really my own worst critic when it comes to developing recipes and I can honestly say – I nailed it! #humblebrag
How to make easy Instant Pot chicken and rice:
First, I tested several different varieties of rice… basmati, jasmine, brown rice… And I found that Jasmine rice works flawlessly for this recipe.
It’s slightly thicker and longer than basmati and produced the best texture for this dish. Jasmine’s cook time is shorter than brown rice, which worked perfectly for the chicken breasts.
Let me just say I’m pretty picky about my rice. I want it cooked to a soft and fluffy texture but not over-cooked and mushy. A very fine line I might add.
Also, for this dish I also wanted it infused with lots of flavor that reminded me of mom’s chicken and rice when I was a kid.
All I can say is… “Slayed It!”
The chicken is tender and delicious, and the rice is perfectly cooked with lots of savory flavor. Everything you could ever want and more. Because it’s ready in less than 40 minutes. AHHH-mazing!
How I created this Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice
1. Set your Instant Pot Duo 6 Quart to sauté mode and add 1 tablespoon of oil allow to get hot
2. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and carefully add them to the pot. Sear for 4 minutes on the first side and 3 on the other, then set chicken aside.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and brown some sliced baby bella mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Then remove them from the pot.
4. Add chopped onions and minced garlic, and cook about 3 minutes.
5. Add white wine and work the brown bits off the bottom (this will help prevent the burn notice.)
6. Add the carrots, parsley, bay leaves, cooked mushrooms and rice to the pot and give it a stir.
7. Place the chicken breasts on the top and lock the lid in place, then set the IP to manual high pressure for 5 minutes. It took about 8-9 minutes for the IP to come to pressure.
8. Once the cook time has completed, allow the pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes then manually release any remaining pressure by switching the valve to the “Venting” setting. It takes 2-3 minutes for the pressure to completely release
The internal temperature of the chicken will be above 165 degrees F which is perfect. Add some more chopped parsley and serve the dish with grated Parmesan on the side.
It will be a huge hit!
Perfectly cooked Instant Pot Chicken and Rice with tons of rich flavor and amazing texture.
I’ve tried many different version of this recipe and this is the best chicken and rice I’ve tasted. It’s hearty, delicious and so comforting!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 ½ to 2 lbs)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large carrots chopped on the thicker side ½ inch
- 1 cup dry white wine, or vermouth
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 1½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper, plus more for seasoning the chicken
- ⅓ cup Italian parsley, finely chopped (more for garnish)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- Grated parmesan cheese for garnish if desired.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Allow to get hot. (I used the Instant Pot Duo 6 Quart for this recipe.)
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and carefully add to the pot. Sear chicken for 4 minutes on the top side and 3 on the other, then remove and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and brown the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Remove the mushrooms. (Add a splash of the white wine or chicken stock if it looks like the pot it getting too brown on the bottom.)
- Add onions and garlic, and cook about 3 minutes. Do not allow to get to brown. Again add a splash of white wine or chicken stock of chicken stock if it seems like it’s getting dark on the bottom.
- Add the wine and work the brown bits off the bottom (this will help prevent the burn notice.) Then add the chicken stock, salt and pepper.
- Add the carrots, parsley, bay leaves, cooked mushrooms and rice to the pot and stir.
- Place the chicken breasts on the top.
- Close the lid and set to manual high pressure for 5 minutes. It will take about 8-9 minutes for the IP to come to pressure.
- Once the cook time has completed, allow pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes then manually release by carefully moving the pressure valve to the “Venting” setting. The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 165 degrees. It takes 2-3 minutes for the pressure to completely release. Serve with more parsley and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if desired.
Serving Size1 chicken breast and 4-6 ounces of rice
Amount Per Serving Calories 335Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 50mgSodium 597mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 21g
PS: No instant pot? Check out my Instant Pot Review to help you choose the best one for you! If you're not ready to take the IP plunge, then I recommend this Chicken with Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Sauce, or this Honey Mustard Chicken. Enjoy!
MORE Easy INSTANT POT RECIPES:
- Shredded Mexican Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs with Risotto
- Instant Pot Jalapeño Popper Chicken
- Instant Pot Pot Roast with Veggies & Gravy