Thanks to our friends at Chicken of The Sea for sponsoring these Healthy Tuna Casserole Muffins! Think mom’s tuna casserole, but in convenient finger-friendly packages that can be eaten on the go or frozen and pulled out for a healthy and easy weeknight dinner. With canned tuna, cheese, onions, celery, pasta and peas, these muffins are full of healthy ingredients and heartwarming flavors!
My mom’s Tuna casserole was a huge family favorite.💛 It was hearty and creamy and so delicious. She would finish hers off with some homemade biscuits resting on the top of all that tasty goodness. Mmm… so yummy.😋
It was a difficult decision we all faced: Should we have seconds, or save some of this amazing tuna delight for the next day? “Oh d-d-d-dear,” what’s a girl to do??😧
I almost always went for seconds.
When there are 6 hungry mouths at the table you learn to get yours when you can.✌️ And when you’re the smallest fish in the pond – you gotta be the fastest.👍 #dontdiscountthelitteguy
What about you? Do you have some fond tuna casserole memories? Or maybe it was Tuna Delight at your house? Whatever it was I think you’ll agree it was D-licious!👌 Seriously, how in the world did our moms work such magic with a can of tuna?🤔
Let’s just take a moment and celebrate all those happy thoughts this topic brings to mind. Ahhhh.😊
Now get ready and hold on to your joggers cause we’re gonna make some new tasty tuna memories of our own today!🙌🍴
That’s right people, it’s 2017 and we’re bringing back the tuna casserole train. Woot woot.🎉
Today we’re serving up some tasty Healthy Tuna Casserole Muffins!👇
They’re just like mom used to make, but in handy little muffin cups perfect for meals on the go, or those little fingers to navigate for lunch or dinner.
AND we’ve amped up the veggie factor with celery, onions, parsley and peas. Plus we used low-fat cheddar cheese and fat-free condensed milk to ensure that same savory flavor with fewer calories and fat. #killingit💪
And since only the best is good enough for you…
We used Chicken of the Sea Solid White Albacore Tuna in EZ-Open cans – they are super-easy to open as the name says, full of protein, and honestly the best-tasting canned tuna I’ve found. So it’s not only a delicious meal, but easy and totally budget-friendly.
Move over mom – there’s a new magician in town!!🎩🐇
These tasty tuna cups are super quick and easy so you can pull them off for a weeknight meal.
The process involves chopping up some celery, onions, parsley and squeezing a lemon. Draining 2 EZ-open cans of Chicken of the Sea Solid White Albacore Tuna…
… Boiling pasta noodles to an al dente doneness, then stirring in the cheese and milk.
Mixing it all together with a few more ingredients like eggs, salt, pepper, peas and almond meal (you can also use breadcrumbs if preferred).
Then spraying a muffin pan with cooking spray, filling the cups, and giving them a firm press.
Topping them off with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and almond meal.
And then into the oven for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.
The result is a winning combination of flavors that take you back to delicious family dinners of days gone by.💙
Speaking of winning, there’s an amazing contest going on right now that you need to be a part of! It’s all about your best tuna recipe… It can be any yummy tuna creation!✨
Best of the Sea Challenge: A World Tuna Day Recipe Contest! Here are the details:
- From April 3-21: submit your recipe here.
- April 24-28: Everyone can vote for their favorite recipes.
- 8 lucky winners will receive VISA gift cards, be featured on the Mermaid’s Official WTD menu, and be entered to win the grand prize.
- May 2: On World Tuna Day, tune in to Chicken of the Sea’s Facebook page for the grand prize winner announcement!
- One (1) Grand Prize Winner will be chosen to win an extraordinary trip for two to Fiji!
Good luck with the contest – may the Mermaids be with you!🌟
I can’t wait for you to introduce your family to this timeless Tuna Casserole tradition, re-invented as Healthy Tuna Casserole Muffins!💫
One thing’s for sure – nothing’s new under the sun, but some things do get better with age! Enjoy!
Healthy Tuna Casserole Muffins - just like mom used to make, but in handy little muffin cups perfect for meals on the go, or those little fingers to navigate!
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Seven-ounce cans Chicken of the Sea Solid White Albacore in EZ-Open Cans
- 3 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used 50% reduced fat cheddar)
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 5 ounces fat free evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Almond meal (or breadcrumbs if preferred)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ pound elbow macaroni pasta (#35)
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons Almond meal (or breadcrumbs if preferred)
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan
- Recipe makes 24 muffins so I recommend cooking in two batches.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Boil pasta to al dente instructions according to package (I cooked mine 6 minutes).
- Mix together all the muffin ingredients except for the pasta, cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon of parsley, milk and cooking spray.
- Place 1 cup of frozen peas in a strainer and run hot water over them for 30 seconds. Then let them sit.
- After pasta has cooked, drain and place back into cooking pot with the cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, and stir in the milk until cheese has melted. Now fold the cheesy pasta into the veggie and egg mixture.
- Fold in the thawed peas.
- Spray a muffin tin pan with cooking spray.
- Using a level 1/3 measuring cup, fill each muffin tin with the pasta/tuna mixture. Firmly press down on each individual cup and then sprinkle on the topping.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Allow tuna bites to cool for 5-8 minutes in the pan, then use a non-stick spatula to loosen the muffins around the edges. Gently scoop each muffin out and serve warm.
- Garnish with 1-tablespoon parsley and more Parmesan cheese if desired.
Muffins can be frozen after cooking. Allow them to cool fully, wrap individually in plastic wrap, then place in a re-sealable freezer bag.