Instant Pot Chicken Salsa Verde Soup - the most flavorful, delicious, tangy and creamy chicken soup ever! With chicken breasts, salsa verde, jalapeños, chicken stock, cream cheese, onions, garlic and spices all ready in less than an hour.
Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Verde Soup is all that and a bag of tortilla chips! (Get it – lol).
So it's almost October... who’s ready for some soup recipes!??
I’ve got both hands and feet up over herrr.
I’m such a soup girl. Cold, lukewarm, or hot… summer, winter, or fall – gimme all the soup. I lurv it!!
I love me some chilled spicy shrimp Gazpacho, some warm creamy chicken mushroom soup with crusty bread, or some hearty Italian Pasta Fagioli Soup that warms you from the inside out.
I know that’s probably not the norm – soup any day and err day. I’m just sayin’, I'm a big fan.
It’s kind of amazing, think about it: a well-balanced meal in every bowl.
You’ve got your veggies, your protein, some nice brothy liquid… everything you could want in a yummy bowl of goodness.
Annnd I'm all about coming up with new soup recipes to mix it up and add a little variety into my menu. Don't get me wrong I love traditional chicken soup, but I also love spicing things up a bit.
Like with this Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Verde Soup!! It's officially my new favorite chicken soup. It's tangy from the Mexican salsa verde, full of flavor from the onion, garlic and spices, brothy and just a tiny bit creamy from the cream cheese mixed in at the end, and it even has a nice kick from the fresh and jarred jalapeños. Mmm, so yummy my friend.
What is Salsa Verde?
Before we go farther I just want to make sure you're familiar with salsa verde.
Here's the deal: it's basically a green salsa. It's made from tomatillos (instead of red tomatoes) along with roasted chilies, onion, garlic, cilantro and sometimes lime juice. The tomatillos give the salsa a tangy bright flavor kind of like a green tomato. They're known as the "Mexican husk tomato" and can be eaten raw or cooked.
Here's my recipe for Holly's Salsa Verde if you wanna make your own. Or you can pick up my favorite store variety... Pace Medium Salsa Verde. Trust me I've done my research - it's the best readily available.
PS: It's also really delicious with some sour cream on scrambled eggs. I'm officially drooling over here.
So we've clearly established that soup is the most amazing meal on the planet and this Salsa Verde Chicken Soup is gonna be your new favorite chicken soup everrrr!
Trust me, it's addictive. You literally can’t stop eating it. It’s the best balance of tangy, creamy, spicy and delicious that I’ve ever tasted.
You’re gonna love it my friend!
Here’s how it all goes down:
How to make salsa verde chicken soup:
- You add all the ingredients except the cream cheese, corn, green chilies, chicken breasts, and one cup of chicken stock to the Instant Pot.
- Season the chicken and add it to the pressure cooker. Set the pressure cook to high temp for 15 minutes (note the IP will take about 10-15 minutes to come to pressure).
- When cook time has completed, carefully move the nozzle to "Venting" to manually release the pressure.
- Remove the chicken from the IP, let it rest 5-10 minutes, then shred.
- Turn the saute mode on and add the softened cream cheese, whisk until blended into the broth.
- Add the additional cup of chicken stock if you want more liquid.
- Stir in the corn.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the cooking liquid and enjoy.
Serve it up in bowls, sprinkling on the toppings and enjoy.
Voila… easy and insanely delicious instant pot chicken soup.
This soup is bright and creamy, hearty and delicious!
Serve this yumminess with some warm tortillas or tortilla chips. You could even add some rice or beans or both and take it to a whole natha’ level. Any way you serve it – it’s muy fantastico.
Instant Pot Chicken Verde Soup – your new go-to soup this season. All prepped and ready to devour in less than an hour!
Call it what you will but I like to refer to this amazing phenomenon as soup nirvana!! It’s so tasty I do believe this will be on your meal plan for months to come.
Buen provecho mi amigo!
Instant Pot Chicken Salsa Verde Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Salsa Verde Soup – the most flavorful, delicious, tangy and creamy chicken soup ever!
For The Chicken Soup:
- 1 cup chicken stock (+ another optional cup AFTER pressure cooking)
- 16 ounces salsa verde (I used Pace Brand, and rinse the jar with ¼ cup water)
- 6 ounces jarred diced jalapeños, and their pickling juice (half of a 12-ounce jar)
- 8 ounces canned green chilies
- 2 jalapenos, stems removed, chopped (leave seeds and membranes in for a kick)
- 1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
For The Chicken:
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 - 6 breasts)
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
After Pressure Cooking:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 22 ounces canned sweet corn, drained (Two 11 ounce cans - I used Green Giant Steam Crisp Niblets)
For The Toppings:
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Sour cream
- Chopped Cilantro
- Diced Jalapeños
- Diced green onions
- Add one cup of the chicken stock, salsa verde, jarred jalapeños + juice, green chilies, chopped jalapeños, chopped yellow and green onions, garlic, cumin and coriander to the Instant Pot and mix together.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Place the chicken in the Instant Pot mixture and submerge slightly.
- Close the IP and set it to cook on High Pressure for 15 minutes (note the Instant Pot will take around 15-20 minutes to come to pressure).
- When the cook time has completed, manually release the pressure by moving the nozzle to “Venting.” Transfer chicken from the IP to a plate, let it rest 5-10 minutes, then shred.
- Turn on “Saute” mode on the Instant Pot, add the softened cream cheese, and whisk until blended into the broth. Add an additional cup of chicken stock if you want more liquid in your soup. Stir in the corn and return the shredded chicken to the pot. The chicken will absorb some of the liquid.
- Serve it up with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Serving Size10 Ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 337Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 109mgSodium 828mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 4gSugar 8gProtein 40g
This nutrition card uses an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. This estimate is not a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice!
Dang, this is one of the best recipes I have made. Every time I make it , my husband and I have it eaten in 2 days!!
Hi LeAnn, that's music to my ears! Thanks so much. I adore this soup as well and I'm thrilled you and the hubs appreciate it as much as I do!
Would like to make this dairy free..would coconut milk or cream work instead of the cream cheese?
Hi Laurie, to keep this dairy free you could just eliminate the cream cheese. You'll lose a little bit of the creamy texture but any other non-dairy substitute (like almond milk or coconut milk) would not provide that creaminess, so it would be simplest to just omit the cream cheese. Please let us know how it turns out! 🙂 - H&B
My chicken breasts are frozen, does that matter?
Hi Molly, we have not tested this but most people find that adding 2-3 minutes to cook time is fine for frozen chicken breasts. You would definitely want to use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken has reached 165F after you have manually released the pressure in step 4 of this recipe. Please let us know how it goes! 🙂 - H&B
Thank you, I added a few minutes and it came out amazing!!!!