The Best Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup! When it comes to comfort food, few dishes can compete with the warm zesty flavors of a steaming bowl of chicken tortilla soup. With its blend of Mexican flavors and textures, this chicken tortilla soup recipe will make your taste buds sing and dance! Go ahead - spice up your mealtime with this easy and delicious slow-cooker soup!
- Favorite Toppings
- This Mexican Soup is Perfect for Meal Prep!
- Which begs the question, how long is it Good for?
- And I know what you're thinking... Can this tortilla soup be frozen?
- How to Make Tortilla Soup in the Crock Pot
- Enjoy Your Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup!
- More Soup Recipes That Will Warm You From the Inside Out!
- Best Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you're like me, when the weather starts to cool down you crave a hearty bowl of soup. And honestly I love a cozy bowl of soup anytime of year. Here are a few of my favorites... Slow Cooker Creamy Southwest Chicken Soup, Chicken Mushroom Soup, Texas Chili Recipe, and if you're looking for a stovetop version of this recipe check out my Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup.
This tortilla soup will certainly satisfy your cravings. With chicken broth, diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, and zesty Mexican spices!
With just a few simple ingredients and the convenience of a crockpot, you can create this delicious and satisfying meal that will impress your family and friends.
- yellow onion
- salt & pepper
- chili powder
- smoked paprika
- chicken breast
- petite diced tomatoes
- chicken broth
- canned black beans
- frozen bag of baby corn
And if you're wondering what toppings can be used for this chicken tortilla soup - I'm here to help!
This tortilla soup truly stands on its own just as it is with its brothy tomato base, zesty spices, and tender chicken. But this is "tortilla soup" so tortilla strips are a must. AmIRight?
I just love the crunchy contrast of the tortilla strips and the bothy soup.
But why stop there, when there are so many other tasty toppings to indulge in?
I like to say set them all out and let everyone choose for themselves. Here are some of my favorite recommendations...
- Tortilla strips
- Shredded cheese: Monterey Jack Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, or any Mexican Blend of Cheese
- Sour cream
- Salsa or Salsa Verde
- Pico de gallo
- Chopped or sliced jalapenos - fresh or pickled
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped red onions or pickled red onions
- Sliced or diced avocado
- Lime wedges
This Mexican Soup is Perfect for Meal Prep!
This recipe for Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup makes quite a few servings. So there's enough to enjoy for dinner and some leftovers to serve throughout the week.
For meal prep - place each serving in separate airtight storage containers and you're ready to grab and go. Or if you're storing the soup in the fridge for another meal later in the week, place it in just one larger airtight container.
Which begs the question, how long is it Good for?
When it comes to storing any leftovers, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. If you're reheating the soup, you may need to add additional broth or water to loosen it up as it may have thickened in the fridge.
And I know what you're thinking... Can this tortilla soup be frozen?
Of course! Another amazing feature of this chicken tortilla soup is that it freezes great.
Cool the soup on the counter to room temperature then scoop it into individual airtight containers or one larger airtight container and freeze it.
Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight then either microwave to reheat, or pour it into a soup pot and heat it over medium heat. It can be frozen for up to three months.
How to Make Tortilla Soup in the Crock Pot
Saute the onions, jalapeño, and garlic, in olive oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes. Stirring regularly.
Add the onion mixture to the slow cooker on high heat. Then add salt, and spices... chili powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika salt, and pepper and stir it all together.
Top Tip: I prefer to sauté the onions, jalapeños and garlic in a pan on the stovetop first because it ensures their texture is soft when the cooking time is completed. You can skip the first step and add the onion, jalapeno, and garlic to the slow cooker uncooked. There is the possibility of them still being al dente when the soup has finished cooking.
Add the chicken breasts.
Now add in the tomatoes, black beans, and chicken stock, and fold it all together.
After 31/2 hours, remove the chicken and shred it using two forks, pulling the meat away from itself.
Now add the corn, cilantro, and cooked shredded chicken all together in the Crockpot. Let it cook for another 20-30 minutes.
Now load up with all your favorite toppings and serve up this yummy soup!
Enjoy Your Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup!
With a little effort and a lot of love, this hearty and flavorful chicken tortilla soup is perfect for a weeknight dinner or hosting a gathering of friends and family. The combination of tender chicken, beans, and a medley of spices will warm you from the inside out.
It's one of those comforting and satisfying dishes that you'll want to make again and again.
More Soup Recipes That Will Warm You From the Inside Out!
- Italian Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Beef Pot Pie Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Sausage Lasagna Soup
- Creamy Tortellini Soup with Chicken
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 21/2 pounds of chicken breast
- 30 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 5 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cans of black beans, drained
- 1 -14 ounce frozen bag of baby corn, defrosted
- Tortilla strips
- Toppings: Shredded cheese: Monterey Jack cheese, cheddar cheese, or any Mexican blend of cheese, sour cream, salsa or Salsa Verde, pico de gallo, chopped or sliced jalapeños - fresh or pickled, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, chopped red onions or pickled red onions, sliced or diced avocado, lime wedges
- In a medium saucepan on the stovetop cook the onion, garlic, and jalapeño in olive oil for 6-8 minutes - until soft and translucent. Then add the cooked veggies to the bottom of the slow cooker. (See Notes)
- Turn the slow cooker on high.
- Add the spices: chili powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Then add the chicken breasts.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, black beans, and chicken stock and cook on high for 31/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred it using two forks.
- Add the corn and cilantro to the soup mixture.
- Then add the shredded chicken and fold all of the ingredients together. Let it cook for another 20-30 minutes then serve with tortilla strips and toppings.
I prefer to sauté the onions, jalapeños and garlic in a pan on the stovetop first because it ensures their texture is soft when the cooking time is completed. You can skip the first step and add the onion, jalapeno, and garlic to the slow cooker uncooked. There is the possibility of them still being al dente when the soup has finished cooking
Amount Per Serving Calories 594Total Fat 13.2gSaturated Fat 0.3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 305mgSodium 1104mgCarbohydrates 7.1gFiber 2.1gSugar 3.4gProtein 104.8g
This nutrition card uses an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. This estimate is not a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice!