This Slow Cooker Creamy Southwest Chicken Soup is a delicious one-pot cozy and comforting meal that cooks itself! With boneless skinless chicken breasts, black beans, white beans, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, sweet peppers, jalapeño peppers, chicken stock, and some lite beer. It’s the perfect balance of Mexican seasoning, plus a little cream cheese for a nice velvety texture and taste.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
There is something so comforting about a big bowl of soup filled with veggies, healthy protein and rich stock.
Especially when there’s a chill in the air or you’re feeling under the weather. Yes – soup is always the answer.
Wouldn’t you agree?
And when you can put it in the slow cooker and let it cook itself – even better!
Today I’m rolling out my latest tasty soup creation… Slow Cooker Creamy Southwest Chicken Soup!
It’s hearty and rich and full of so much healthy goodness!
With boneless skinless chicken breasts, black beans, white beans, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, sweet peppers, jalapenos, chicken stock, some lite beer, the perfect balance of Mexican seasoning, plus a little cream cheese for a nice velvety texture and taste.
More tasty ingredients you could add to this chicken chili:
- Canned or frozen sweet corn
- Canned Green Chilis
- Canned Tomatoes and chilies AKA Rotel
- Fresh chopped poblano peppers
- Chopped fresh tomatillos
It’s so good – I can’t wait for you to try it!
I would say it’s similar to a taco soup or a fajita chicken soup.
It’s lighter than a traditional chili but still has some nice depth and rich flavor from the spices and the tomatoes. Personally, I like the rich brothy taste better than a dense chili AND I love that it’s so effortless to throw together.
It couldn’t be any easier to make…
How to make Southwest Chicken Soup in the Slow Cooker:
- Combine onion, peppers, jalapenos, white beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, beer, and chicken stock in a slow cooker (<–my fave!), then add taco seasoning.
- Mix all the ingredients together and add the chicken breasts.
- Press them down so they are mostly covered.
- Put the lid on and cook! (on low heat for 6 ½ hours or high heat for 3½ hours.)
- When it’s time, remove the chicken and shred.
- Add softened cream cheese and mix in until incorporated and creamy.
- Next, fold the shredded chicken back into the pot and let sit for 10 minutes. Serve warm with toppings if desired. (See the recipe card below detailed recipe instructions.)
Honestly, it’s so good I don’t even need toppings on mine. But go ahead and add whatever yumminess you like… chopped cilantro, diced green onions, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese or sour cream.
This Slow Cooker Creamy Southwest Chicken Soup is so cozy and comforting. The perfect one-pot meal for those days chili days when you need dinner to make itself!
Enjoy my friend!
- 14 ounces canned small white beans, (navy or great northern), drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup of lite beer like Corona, (or chicken stock if preferred)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 sweet bell peppers, red yellow or orange, seeds and membranes removed and chopped
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeds and membranes removed, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro,, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (*See Note)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut up
- Toppings: chopped cilantro, diced green onions, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, or sour cream.
- Place the onion, garlic, cilantro, peppers, jalapeño peppers, white beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, beer, chicken stock, salt and pepper and taco seasonings (paprika, cumin, chili powder, oregano, coriander, and liquid smoke if using) into the slow cooker then stir to blend all the ingredients together. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients.
- Add the lid to the crock pot and set it to low heat for 6 ½ hours or high heat for 3½ hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts, shred and set aside.
- Next, add the cream cheese to the crock pot and whisk or stir it in until it’s thoroughly blended with the soup.
- Fold in the shredded chicken into the crock pot and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Serve warm as is or with with chopped cilantro, diced green onions, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese and sour cream.
- The liquid smoke is optional for a smokier flavor.
- If you are eating gluten-free, we suggest Colgin brand liquid smoke as they state that they are gluten free!
Serving Size8-10 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 343.2Total Fat 9.43gSaturated Fat 3.33gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 101mgSodium 952.41mgCarbohydrates 25.32gNet Carbohydrates 16gFiber 8.84gSugar 4.02gProtein 37.63g