Cheesy Jalapeño Beer Bread Recipe – a crazy-easy hearty treat that goes great with chili, BBQ ribs, or just smeared with some butter and enjoyed all by itself. This is some warm, moist, buttery comfort food you’re gonna want to make on repeat. Just so you know this bread recipe doesn't contain yeast!
So I guess we’re all baking bread nowadays. Apparently so much so that it's created a nationwide shortage of baker's yeast.
Who knew that baking bread would be the go-to activity when we’re required to hunker down and stay at home?
But here we are baking our little hearts out.
You may not know this about me, but baking isn’t my favorite thing. I mean I appreciate the outcome, but all the exact measuring and precision leave me no room for putting my creative stamp on recipes.
But today’s recipe just happens to be the exception. It’s a super-simple beer bread recipe that a friend shared with me a while ago… and of course, I went ahead and took all kinds of liberties and made it my own.
I mean what else do I have to do – clean my house? Nah, I’d rather bake some bread. Lol
Allow me to introduce my latest creation… Cheesy Jalapeño Beer Bread! Mmmm.
It’s so soft and moist in the center, with this crispy buttery crust on top. It has some nice cheesiness, plus bits of jalapeño pepper and green onion that give it an earthy flavor – pairing perfectly with the flavor of beer in the bread.
And for all of you who aren’t into beer, you can swap out the beer for seltzer water.
We’re full service over here – something for everyone.
This bread couldn’t be any easier to make. Literally, 8 ingredients stirred together and baked… poof! Warm deliciousness ready to be devoured.
Shall we discuss how this beer bread recipe comes together?
How to make beer bread:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl stir together the self-rising flour, sugar, garlic powder, green onions, jalapeños, and shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Slowly pour the beer into the bowl of ingredients, and gently stir or fold until combined. Do not overstir!
- Soften a tablespoon of salted butter and grease a 9x5 baking loaf pan.
- Next, pour the batter into the pan and spread it out evenly. Drizzle with one tablespoon of melted butter.
- Bake the bread for 40 minutes, then remove it from the oven and add the rest of the Mexican cheese, green onions, and jalapenos. Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the jalapeno cheese bread from the oven and allow it to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice the bread and enjoy!
What to serve with this beer bread recipe?
It’s really a question of what NOT to serve with beer bread!! 😊 It’s an amazing pairing with hearty stews like this white chicken chili, or this smoky chicken chili. But it’s also a great side to serve with some classic balsamic baby back ribs or some tasty grilled drumsticks.
What type of beer is best for beer bread?
In truth, almost any beer will do. In our first test batch, we tried an IPA but found it left the bread with a slightly bitter flavor note… which makes sense because many IPAs are known to be hoppy. So we’d suggest avoiding hoppy beers.
There is a strong fan base of stout beers such as Guinness, which is hard to argue with, because, well, Guinness.
However, if you’re buying beer specifically for this recipe, our recommendation is a Mexican pale lager.
Cheesy Jalapeño Beer Bread
Cheesy Jalapeño Beer Bread Recipe – a crazy-easy hearty treat that goes great with chili, BBQ ribs, or just smeared with some butter and enjoyed all by itself!
- 3 cups sifted self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 8 ounces Mexican shredded cheese (reserve 2 tablespoons!)
- ½ cup diced jalapeños (reserve 1 tablespoon)
- ½ cup green onions (reserve 1 tablespoon)
- 12 ounces pale lager beer
- 2 tablespoons butter (1 softened, 1 melted)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Sift the flour into an empty bowl, and re-measure 3 cups after sifting.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl stir together the self-rising flour, sugar, garlic powder, green onions, jalapeños, and shredded Mexican cheese blend. Slowly pour the beer into the bowl of ingredients, and gently stir or fold until combined. Do not over-stir!
- Use the softened tablespoon of salted butter to grease a 9x5 baking loaf pan.
Next, pour the batter into the pan and spread it out evenly. Drizzle with one tablespoon of melted butter.
- Bake the bread for 40 minutes, then remove from the oven and add the rest of the Mexican cheese, green onions and jalapenos. Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the jalapeno cheese bread from the oven and allow to cool 15-20 minutes.
- For our beer we chose to use a popular Mexican pale lager such as Tecate, Pacifico, etc. However, almost any beer will do (we would avoid anything to hoppy!)
- You can substitute seltzer water for beer if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 275Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 31mgSodium 554mgCarbohydrates 33gNet Carbohydrates 32gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 9g
This nutrition card uses an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. This estimate is not a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice!
I love how the instructions are so specific concerning the sifted flour. So many times recipes are not specific, i.e. 1 c. Onion chopped vs. 1 c. Chopped onion. It does make a difference! I will be making this bread on Saturday 👍👍
Hi Sue thank you for your comment and noticing the work put into the recipes! I try to be as specific as I can to help others make their recipes and meals just as perfect as mine! Let me know how much you love the bread!