This Korean Chicken Bowl with Kale is full of good-for-you ingredients and loaded with tons of savory Asian flavors. So delicious and super-easy to make! Basically, weeknight dinner perfection!
Korean Chicken Bowl with Kale, Rice, and Egg
Amazingness Alert: A ridiculously flavorful and delicious, easy bowl of goodness is coming your way!!
This Korean Chicken Bowl with Kale is everything!!
It’s savory and hearty with a little kick – plus there’s a runny egg!! I’m swooning hard over this one friends.
We make this for dinner all the time, so I figured I should probably share it with you, so you can too.
It’s almost shocking that something this tasty can be good for you. It has ground chicken seasoned with delicious Asian flavors: garlic, ginger, sesame oil, Korean chili sauce, soy sauce, and green onions.
Then some fresh-chopped kale massaged with sesame oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. It’s kind of miraculous how kale mellows and sweetens and the kale leaves soften when massaged with oil for a salad.
And it’s all served over your choice of white, brown or cauliflower rice – topped off with a pan-fried runny egg! Mmmm, all I can say is I can’t wait for dinner tonight!!
This 30-minute meal is not only healthy and delicious, it’s also gluten-free and can be low-carb by swapping regular rice for riced cauliflower.
I like to challenge myself with creating well balanced and nutritious meals that don’t sacrifice on taste. And I’m pretty sure I hit the bullseye with this one!
This Asian bowl of yumminess definitely has it all!
Did you know kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet!?? Whaaaa!?? True story.
Basically that means that kale is really high in nutrients and really low in calories – more so than most foods.
Personally, I love how versatile kale is: it can stand up to sautéing and baking, but it’s also delicate enough for salads and eating raw.
When I use it in salad or bowls like today’s recipe, I like to toss kale with some vinegar-based dressing. Or I’ll massage it with a little oil so those cellulose structures break down (AKA wilt) and turn silky when given a good rub down.
Now let’s all say it together… “All hail the kale!!”
Who’s ready to get cooking?? Both hands up over here!!
There are four components to this meal. The chicken, the kale, the egg and the rice.
First, I like to start by making my rice since it’s ok to serve at room temperature.
Next, it’s time to move on to the chicken… I use a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil, sesame oil, and ground chicken. I use a spatula to break the meat up into small pieces, and saute for 5 minutes, until the meat is cooked through.
Now, mix the garlic, ginger and green onions into the pan and cook for 1 minute.
Then stir the chili garlic paste and soy/tamari sauce into the pan, and simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until the meat and sauce come together and the chicken is cooked.
Now it’s time to chop the kale and add it to a large bowl. Then massage it with 2 teaspoons of sesame oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Next comes the eggs: pan fry eggs to your preferred doneness, and set them aside.
Finally, it’s time to assemble all this deliciousness into a bowl… Korean chicken, kale, and rice, top with a runny egg, and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Then devour!
A well-balanced and delicious meal so flavorful you’ll want to eat it every week! Just speaking from experience… this Korean chicken recipe can be habit-forming! 😀
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, finely grated
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce (Huy Fung Food Inc. brand is gluten-free), or Gochujang for a sweeter version (Chung Jung One brand is gluten-free)
- ¼ cup low-sodium tamari sauce (gluten-free), or low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups of kale leaves, torn and chopped
- 4 eggs cooked to your preferred doneness
- Cooked rice – white or brown
- Toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions for garnish
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, sesame oil and ground chicken. Use a spatula to break the meat up into small pieces, and brown for 5 minutes, until the meat is cooked through.
- Add the garlic, ginger and green onions to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chili garlic sauce and soy/tamari sauce to the pan, and simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until the meat and sauce come together.
- Chop the kale then massage it with 2 teaspoons sesame oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Fry eggs to your preferred doneness.
- Serve the chicken in bowls with the kale and rice, topped with a runny egg.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions and devour!
For the nutrition info below, a 10-ounce serving includes:
- 1/4 cup of cooked ground chicken
- 1 cup of kale prepared as per instructions
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of cooked rice
- all other spices & ingredients as per instructions
Serving Size10 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 332Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 5gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 261mgSodium 1387mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 30g