Chicken Sausage Breakfast Skillet with Sweet Potatoes – everything you love about breakfast all in one pan! With lots of beautiful, good-for-you ingredients like shredded sweet potatoes, brightly colored peppers, cheddar cheese, spicy chicken sausage, apple cider vinegar, chopped parsley and cage-free eggs… a well-balanced, tasty meal for any time of day!
Do you eat breakfast for dinner, or maybe dinner for breakfast?🍳
I have a girlfriend whose family is from Germany. She said they always eat savory, hearty and meaty meals in the morning. I think that would suit me just fine. I don’t have a huge sweet tooth so that sounds perfectly delicious any time of day.👌
Breakfast for dinner is also a great idea.🌟
- It’s another excuse to eat luscious, runny eggs…
- … and easy to make. Who doesn’t need more easy weeknight dinners?
- It’s a “fast” meal to throw together (Get it?? Break-“fast”??😄 Sorry, couldn’t help myself.✌️)
- Plus, it’s always a crowd-pleaser. Who doesn’t love a good break-feast!?
Why I love a breakfast skillet!
Today I’ve taken this whole breakfast or “break-feast” thing to yet another amazing level!💯
Not only is it easy, quick, and delicious, skillet breakfast dishes are also virtually effortless to clean up! You’re so welcome!🙏
Let me introduce you to your new BFF one-pan breakfast (or dinner) dish… Chicken Sausage Breakfast Skillet!👇
Just when you thought breakfast couldn’t get any better – it does! This one-pan skillet is brimming with so much yummy healthy goodness.✨
I mean, we all love some crispy hash browns, savory herbaceous sausage, and “pre-birds” – AKA eggs! And this skillet has it all. Well, kind of.
All of the fabulous, flavor but not all the unhealthiness that can sometimes be associated with a morning fry-fest.
A healthier chicken sausage breakfast skillet:
I swapped out the hash browns for shredded sweet potatoes. The sagey pork breakfast meat got upgraded to spicy chicken sausage. And the eggs: no oil required to cook these little mini sunshine pods… Just tuck them into their little potato nests and they will cook themselves.♨️
Seriously, your family will think you’ve hung the moon or at least the sun (six times to be exact) with this one-pan wonder of a recipe.🌞
And you’ll love the ease of making a skillet breakfast in less than 30 minutes.🙌
To Make This Chicken Sausage Breakfast Skillet:
The process involves shredding two sweet potatoes in the food processor. Chopping an onion, two peppers and mincing some garlic.
Then it’s skillet time.
Sauté those onions for a few minutes, add the garlic and peppers, and cook just a few more minutes.
Then in goes your chicken sausage, parsley, cheddar cheese, plus salt and pepper.
Add the sweet potatoes, apple cider vinegar for a little balance, stir and saute for 5 more minutes.
Make some cute little wells (AKA “nests”) in your mixture and add your eggs one at a time.
Into the oven it goes for 7-8 minutes and breakfast, or umm, dinner is served!💫
Sweet Potato and Chicken Sausage Breakfast Skillet – a well-balanced breakfast to start or end any day!👍
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 peppers, diced (I prefer red and yellow for color)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 pounds spicy chicken sausage
- 4 cups shredded sweet potatoes (about 2 medium-sized potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, peppers, and salt and pepper and sauté 3 more minutes.
- Add chicken sausage and cook 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add shredded sweet potatoes and sauté, stirring often, for 5 minutes until they’re softened.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons parsley, cheddar cheese, and apple cider vinegar.
- Make 6 shallow impressions spaced evenly around the skillet, then crack an egg into each spot (you may want to crack each egg into a small bowl first to make sure the yolk stays intact, then pour it into place in the skillet).
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper, and garnish the entire skillet with remaining chopped parsley.
Serving Size10-12 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 361Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 7gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 219mgSodium 1135mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 20g