Thanks to our friends at al fresco all natural for sponsoring this creamy Chicken Alfredo with Penne and Peas! It’s a quick and easy weeknight dinner recipe full of hearty pasta, chicken sausage with roasted garlic, onions, & herbs, creamy cheesy sauce, and baby sweet peas. This bright and seasonal recipe is the perfect spring comfort food!
Regardless of the cold white stuff falling from the sky where some of you live, spring is here! Sometimes it’s hard for me to know what to cook this time of year. When we lived in Boston it wasn’t quite warm enough to make dishes like my Grilled Romaine Chicken Caesar, but I had made my yummy Crockpot Beef Ragu so many times throughout the winter that I needed something a little lighter.
What about you? Do you share this quandary? Do you have some delicious spring dishes you’ve already been mixing up this season?
Today’s recipe is my take on a delicious, quick, and easy seasonal recipe… Chicken Alfredo with Penne and Peas!
PS: For all of my low-carb friends I've added a lower carb option by swapping out the pasta for zucchini noodles. Yup, I went there - Chicken Alfredo with Zoodles and Peas!
It’s creamy and light with sweet spring peas, and the most mouthwatering garlic and herb chicken sausage from al fresco. Hands-down, they truly make the best-tasting chicken sausage EVER. I absolutely love it. And I love that it’s fully cooked, so it gets dishes like this on the table so much quicker.
I’m always swapping out al fresco’s chicken sausage in my everyday meals to cut down on time without sacrificing flavor. Like this Chicken Marsala, and this Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese – both are so easy, ready in about 30 minutes, and soo delicious!
Did you know Chicken alfredo is one of the most popular pasta dishes ordered in US restaurants?
And why wouldn’t it be with that creamy, cheesy garlicky sauce? Mmmmm. This will be one of those dishes that the whole family loves and requests on a regular basis. Annnd since it’s so quick and easy, you’ll be happy to accommodate.
I like to bump up the nutritional value and add veggies to my meals where I can. It’s a great way to sneak in some extra nutrition, plus it provides nice texture and a pop of color. Gotta make it pretty – ‘cause we eat with our eyes first.
For this yummy chicken sausage with alfredo sauce recipe I decided to add peas. I love how effortless it is to grab some peas out of the freezer and boom! A whole ‘natha level of amazing creamy goodness all in one pot. Gotta love that!
What other veggies go well with alfredo sauce?
Well if peas aren’t your favorite I happen to have some ideas on this very topic, so allow me to share…
- Some diced carrots would be a great addition to this meal. Not only are they gorgeous but they give off a little sweetness which would be super yummy.
- Broccoli would be another fabulous veggie for this dish. Fresh or frozen, who doesn’t love broccoli and cheese?
- If your family enjoys asparagus, it would be delicious with alfredo sauce. Plus, it’s readily available and in season for spring.
- With little to no effort you could also stir in some fresh spinach. It has so much nutritional value and requires zero cook time.
- I think some juicy cherry tomatoes would also be a great addition. While cooking they would crack and give off some of their juices, giving the dish a reddish amber color and a hint of bright tomato flavor.
- You could even mix in some fresh corn during the summer when it’s readily available (or grab a bag of frozen corn any time of year).
There are so many great ways to add nutritional value by mixing in some vegetables. No need to dirty another pan and make a separate side dish, just mix them right in and you’ll have a gorgeous and healthy meal the whole family will love.
What’s a good vegetable to serve with chicken alfredo?
Just in case you're not a big fan of mixing more veggies right into the chicken alfredo... I've got you covered. Just check out my veggie side dishes here!
How to make Chicken Alfredo with Penne and Peas:
First, cook your pasta to “al dente” according to the package instructions. Pour your peas into a strainer placed in the sink, rinse with warm water, and allow them to defrost.
Next, slice and saute one package of al fresco garlic chicken sausage in olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium high heat. Then remove from the pan and set aside.
Now add the minced garlic to the same pan, and saute for a minute, then add in your cream cheese and milk. Once that has turned into a creamy sauce, add the grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Saute the sauce for a few minutes until it starts to simmer.
Finally, add in your chicken sausage, pasta and sweet peas. Fold together gently until everything is coated with the sauce.
Now dish it up and add a little parsley and shaved or grated parmesan for garnish.
This Chicken Veggie Alfredo is truly the perfect weeknight dinner. Ready in 20 minutes, full of hearty protein and creamy cheesy garlic sauce… it’s sure to be a huge hit with the entire family!
- 8 ounces penne pasta, (or use zucchini noodles for a low-carb meal. *See note.)
- 13 ounces sweet baby peas
- 12 ounces al fresco all natural Roasted Garlic chicken sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup 2% milk, (or unsweetened almond milk if preferred)
- 2 ounces (½ cup) grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Cook pasta to “al dente” according to the package instructions (I like to add 1 teaspoon of salt to my water to give the pasta more flavor). Set aside once cooked.
- Meanwhile, pour peas into a strainer placed in the sink, rinse with warm water, and allow them to sit and defrost.
- Slice one 12-ounce package of al fresco garlic chicken sausage and saute in olive oil for 4-5 minutes on medium high heat. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add minced garlic to the same pan, and saute for a minute, then add cream cheese and milk. Whisk together until it makes a creamy sauce and starts to simmer, about 3-4 minutes. Then stir in grated Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Saute and stir the sauce for another minute until cheese melts. If your sauce gets too thick add 1-2 more tablespoons of milk.
- Add chicken sausage, pasta, and sweet peas. Fold together gently until all ingredients are well coated with the sauce. Garnish with more parsley and Parmesan cheese.
*For a yummy low-carb meal, replace the pasta with 4-5 small spiralized zucchini. There's no need to cook the zucchini noodles. Just spiralize them before you start to make the sauce and put them in a strainer in the sink with a sprinkle of salt. (You can also wrap them in paper towel and squeeze some of their juice out.) This will help them release some of their juices so your dish isn't too runny.
Serving Size10 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 496Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 11gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 91mgSodium 812mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 4gSugar 8gProtein 24g
Looking for more Easy Weeknight Dinners?