Thanks to our friends at al fresco all natural for sponsoring this Chicken Taco Pasta Skillet!
This zesty Mexican skillet is so delicious but mild enough for the kiddos. With chicken sausage, pasta, cheese, and your favorite salsa… it’s one flavorful and hearty meal! Bonus: it’s ready in 30 minutes!
I’ve been wanting to create a taco pasta recipe for a while now and today is the day!
Chicken Taco Pasta Skillet
My friends at al fresco all natural recently unveiled a new product line, “Chicken Nights Faster.” It’s yet another way they make it easier to get a healthy chicken dinner on the table in minutes. They’re introducing new flavors like Rotisserie Chicken, Mild Italian, and Mexican Style.
So when they asked if I would create a dish with their new Mild Mexican Style Chicken Sausage I knew what needed to happen… you got it – Chicken Taco Pasta Skillet!
It’s like the best of everything in the world… Mexican flavors, pasta, cheese, and chicken!!
And not just any chicken. Oh no, we’re talking pre-cooked, lean, gluten-free, and delicious @alfresco Mild Mexican Style Chicken Sausage!
You probably already know this but I love al fresco chicken sausage – it’s just so tasty! I always make sure to have it on hand in my fridge or freezer. It’s such a time saver since it’s pre-cooked and ready to go.
Oh and I should mention their new packaging – isn’t it fancy! I’s also pretty serviceable – the chicken links are each individually sealed for freshness! Just another reason to love al fresco chicken sausage and this yummy Chicken Taco Pasta Skillet!
I know your family is gonna adore this cheesy chicken pasta and you are too because it’s on the table in thirty minutes!! Can you say perfect back-to-school weeknight dinner!?
I’ve got all kinds of tips to make this taco pasta recipe quick, easy and as good-for-you as possible:
- As I mentioned, using al fresco Mild Mexican Style Chicken Sausage is a huge time-saver since it’s pre-cooked and ready to go.
- Most grocery stores have pre-cut veggies in the produce area, or even in the freezer aisle. Purchase your onions and peppers already chopped and save yourself some time.
- Nowadays you can even purchase pre-cooked pasta – another great time saver. Or if you want to turn this into a low-carb and gluten-free meal, use some zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash noodles as a replacement for traditional pasta.
- Unless you just enjoy making your own taco seasoning you can also purchase a taco seasoning packet which works perfectly for this recipe. And bonus – they actually have gluten-free versions as well.
- This recipe uses salsa as the base of the sauce, so just pick up your favorite variety and you’re all set.
See how easy it is!?? It’s like I made this yummy pasta skillet for you.
Okay, maybe not – moving on!
How to make taco pasta:
First, if you didn’t purchase precooked pasta, go ahead and get the water boiling, add a tablespoon of salt, and cook your pasta to the package instructions for al dente pasta.
Next, add a tablespoon of olive oil to a medium-sized skillet over medium high heat. Add your onion and bell pepper, and saute for 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and saute 1 more minute.
Now, stir in the taco seasoning, add the chicken sausage and the water to the pan and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
Finally, add the salsa, cheese and pasta and fold it all together. (I also like to stir in a couple tablespoons of fresh cilantro but that’s optional of course.)
Garnish with whatever taco toppings you like… sour cream, more cheese or salsa, cilantro, and green onions and enjoy!
I love this Chicken Taco Pasta Skillet! The Mexican flavors are so tasty and also mild enough for the kiddos.
The adults might want to add some heat but that’s the beauty of a meal like this. You can totally add that while serving… spices like Cayenne or Chili Pepper Flakes, or some chopped serranos or jalapenos will definitely kick it up a notch.
This is a delicious and hearty kid friendly meal that will definitely satisfy the entire family!
For the Skillet:
- 12 ounces alfresco Mild Mexican Style Chicken Sausage
- 8 ounces cooked penne pasta
- 1 sweet pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves Garlic minced
- 1 1/3 cups salsa
- 1/2 cup water (more if needed)
- 6 ounces Shredded Mexican or Cheddar Cheese + plus 2 ounces for garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Toppings:, Cilantro, Green onions, Sour Cream, Salsa, Pico de gallo, Shredded Cheese
For The Taco Seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoons powdered garlic
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- First, if you didn’t purchase precooked pasta go ahead and get the water boiling, add a tablespoon of salt and cook pasta according to the to the package instructions for al dente doneness.
- Next, add a tablespoon of olive oil to a medium sized skillet over medium high heat. Add your onion and pepper and saute for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 1 more minute.
- Now, stir in the taco seasoning, chicken sausage and the water. Saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will allow the flavors to marry.
- Finally, add the salsa and pasta and fold it all together. Saute it for 2 more minutes and mix in the cheese and fresh cilantro.
- Garnish with whatever taco toppings you like… sour cream, more cheese or salsa, cilantro, and green onions and enjoy!
Serving Size6 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 319Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 7gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 67mgSodium 1261mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 19g
More delicious easy chicken dinners:
- Salsa Verde Low Carb Chicken Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Pineapple Chicken Meal Prep Bowls
- Marsala Chicken Orzo Skillet
- Harissa Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Andouille Chicken Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner
- Chicken Alfredo with Penne and Peas