This Hearty Homemade Marinara Sauce is perfect for all your favorite Italian dishes! Whether it's served over pasta & meatballs, layered in your favorite lasagna stuffed peppers, alongside some yummy fried calamari, or paired with baked chicken strips or Parmesan Crusted Chicken, this quick homemade marinara will deliver every time!
Hearty Homemade Marinara Sauce
Super-easy homemade marinara - the whole family will love it!
- 1 small onion, grated or pureed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 44 ounces canned crushed tomatoes, (two 22-ounce cans)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 4 ounce canned tomato paste
- 8 ounces water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Place a saucepot on the stove over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the grated onion, sprinkle with half the salt and pepper, and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Next, mix in the tomato paste and allow the mixture to cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, parsley, and rest of salt and pepper. Turn the heat down slightly so the marinara isn’t shooting out of the pot and allow it to cook for 20 minutes.
For a smoother texture use an upright mixer or food processor and puree the mixture.
Serving Size¼ cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 91Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 748mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 4gSugar 10gProtein 4g
This nutrition card uses an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. This estimate is not a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice!
I would love to connect with you! Leave a comment and follow me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, & Pinterest!