Baked Brie with Caramelized Onions and Bacon! The perfect appetizer for having friends or family over during the holidays or anytime you want something cheesy and delicious! Plus, this baked brie recipe is gluten-free, requires only 5 ingredients, and is baked and ready to devour in 35 minutes! Bonus - there's a low-carb option.
This post has been updated since it was originally posted in December 2015.
What's Not to Love About Brie Cheese?
Brie glorious brie... We're anxious to try it!🎶 This recipe has most definitely got me singing!
And even better it's low-carb and gluten-free.
How to Make Baked Brie with Bacon:
This mouthwatering recipe only requires 5 ingredients and you can throw it together and have it ready to enjoy in 35 minutes! Amazingness!
I like to bake my bacon. There is virtually no mess and it's super low maintenance. Usually, there will be baking instructions on the back of the packaging.
I line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the bacon slices as close as possible since they shrink while cooking.
Pop them into the oven (depending on the thickness the temperature will vary) wait about 15 minutes and voila - perfectly cooked bacon! AND: No grease splatters on my stovetop! Can you hear me purring?
While all that pork is magically becoming salty, addictive, protein sticks, I slice up my onions and get them caramelizing on the stove.
It's definitely a low and slow process; you can't rush perfection. Onions are naturally sweet, and when you slow cook them over a period of time, the natural sugars in the onions caramelize.
Resulting in a wonderfully sweet and flavorful topping... Mmmm!
For this recipe I stirred in a tablespoon of brown sugar to the onions just before they were finished cooking, to balance out the salty bacon and cheese.
You can skip this step or use your favorite sugar substitutes like erythritol or stevia to keep this recipe low-carb and keto-friendly.
If you want to impress your guests with minimal effort this baked brie recipe is your new BFF. And then there's the bacon.❤ Nuff said.
Here are More Delicious Cheesy Appetizer Recipes:
- Baked Brie in Puff Pastry with Honey and Almonds
- Baked Brie in Puff Pastry with Cherry Cranberry Sauce
- Stuffed Mushrooms With Spinach, Feta, And Walnuts
- Queso Fundido With Chorizo!
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Mushrooms (Low Carb)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (omit or use erythritol for low-carb & keto)
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 16 ounces brie, round
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 5-6 slices of bacon
- Cook bacon until almost crispy, let cool and finely chop.
- Caramelize onion in olive oil on medium low heat for 20 minutes. Add brown sugar a few minutes before finished. Sauté another 1-2 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Top the brie with the onions and chopped bacon.
- Bake at 350 degrees until soft and starting to ooze, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with French bread crostini’s or crackers.
Serving Size5 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 196Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 8gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 43mgSodium 299mgCarbohydrates 2gSugar 1gProtein 9g
PS: If you're not in a bacon mood, try this Baked Brie in Puff Pastry with Honey & Almonds!