??It’s all about the Root, the Root – Root Veggies!??
In honor of hearty root vegetables me and my Sunday Supper friends have been slicing and dicing up some amazing recipes for your earthy veggie pleasure. To see all the #SundaySupper root veggie recipes, be sure to scroll down past my recipe card and check them out! Also, a special thanks to our terrific host, Cindy of Cindy’s Recipe & Writings, who made this event happen!
Here’s the back story on these earth dwellers…to be a “true” root vegetable, the vegetable should meet two criteria: they should be grown underground, and act like a root for the plant – absorbing moisture and nutrients from the ground.
We consider the potato a root vegetable but the portion of the plant that is under ground is considered a tuber or an underground stem. So some might get a little crazy technical and try to exclude the potatoes from the root category. But that’s not how we roll. We say the more roots (or ahhem, “tubers”) the better!
Just a little root veggie trivia for you to enlighten your family and friends with while serving these yummy Smashed Potatoes.✨
Smashed Potatoes are the bomb!!! Especially with some luscious sour cream and bright green onions!! Swoonapalooza going on over here just thinking about them!!
I love these little guys. They are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. So tasty and healthy and totally different than most ways I eat my potatoes.
I like to use baby yukon potatoes for this recipe. They are starchier than say a red potato, so they keep stay together after smashing and keep their shape nicely.
You start by boiling the potatoes for 10 minutes, gently smashing them, seasoning them with salt and pepper, baking for 30 minutes and voila…delectable Smashed Potatoes!!!✨ So easy and soooo good!
But what would a potato be without some sour cream and chopped green onion? Top them with your favorite fixings (bacon, bbq sauce, ketchup, butter, parsley, cheese, sour cream, chives)- and dinner is served!
These smashers do require slightly more attention than say a baked potato, but they look all fancy and delicious – totally worth it! And they pair perfectly with my Farmer’s Market Meat Loaf and Garlic Green Beans. Go ahead and put Smashed Potatoes on your list of recipes to make this week – trust me you’ll be glad you did!!
A fun twist on roasted potatoes, topped with sour cream & green onions!
- 1-11/2 pounds yellow baby potatoes
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- sour cream
- finely chopped parsley
- chopped green onions
Preheat oven to 450ºF, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil.
Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring them to a boil and cook at a steady simmer for about 10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and let them cool slightly - about 10 minutes.
Either on a dish towel or directly on the baking pan - gently but firmly crush each potato until their about 1/2 inch thick.
With a spatula transfer them carefully to the baking pan.
Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake them for 15 minutes. Flip them over and cook for another 15 minutes, or until they're crisp and a bit brown around the edges. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste. Drop dollops of sour cream over the potatoes and sprinkle with scallions and parsley.
There are so many topping options for these Smashed Potatoes. Here's some more ideas to get your wheels turning: bacon, butter, shredded cheese, chives, bbq sauce, ketchup and hot sauce.
Decide to eat #SundaySupper together at least once a month and use these amazing #SundaySupper Root Veggie Recipes to get you started!
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chips from Momma’s Meals
- Golden Beet Chips with Sea Salt from Sunday Supper Movement
- Roasted Beet Hummus from And She Cooks
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup from Magnolia Days
- Root Vegetable Soup with Herb Croutons from An Appealing Plan
- Waffled Carrot Latkes from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Brunch-n-Bites
- Carrot Cake Waffles from Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Sweet Potato Biscuit and Sausage Gravy Skillet Bake from The Texan New Yorker
- Bacon-Potato Torte from Tramplingrose
- Beef & Root Vegetable Hand Pastries from Gate to Plate
- Beet, Blue Cheese and Bacon Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
- Beet Pesto from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Celery Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Hearty Stew Hand Pies from The TipToe Fairy
- Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad from The Chef Next Door
- Root Vegetable and Beef Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Borscht from The Crumby Cupcake
- Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes from Life Tastes Good
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Our Good Life
- Turnip Rutabaga and Root Veggie Beef Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Wild Rice Vegetable Bake from Wholistic Woman
- Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan and Garlic from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beet, Greens and Goat Cheese Gratin from Monica’s Table
- Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Browned Butter Braised Baby Turnips from Food Lust People Love
- Caprese Twice Baked Potatoes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Carrot Ribbon and Orange Salad from Pies and Plots
- Celery Root Gratin with Horseradish Cream from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Italian Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Potatoes from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Gogoma Jorim (Korean Soy-braised Sweet Potatoes) from kimchi MOM
- Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Jicama Home Fries from Casa de Crews
- Lemon Thyme Au Gratin Potatoes from Vintage Kitty
- Moroccan Harissa Potatoes from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Roasted Root Vegetable Farro from Cooking Chat
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes (with make-ahead tip) from Meal Planning Magic
- Root Vegetable Mash from Feeding Big and more
- Rooty Dauphinoise from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Smashed Potatoes from Taste And See
- Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole from Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Carrots & Potatoes from Sweet Mornings
- Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apples, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Best Ever Carrot Cake from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Carrot Cookies from The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Carrot Cake from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Iced Beet Cake from Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake from Real Food Real Deals
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement